I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Friday, August 27, 2010

A Little Time Traveling

My Mom and I took the kids on a mini vacation this week. While away, we visited an historic site with beautiful gardens and buildings representing 1695-1950. I love living history, so I had a great time strolling around and I snapped some great pictures to share. This gazebo is made from branches and has a curtain of tiny shells in the doorway.
A child's tea party was set up in the garden on this stick furniture.



We love fairy houses and this seaside-themed house is one of the prettiest we've seen. I think any little fairy would be proud to call this home!




We saw many beautiful rooms in the buildings. This pink bedroom is circa 1795 and was in the home of a wealthy woman. I love the four poster bed.








This bedroom is circa 1910 and was lived in by a little girl who came from Russia with her mother. They ran a boarding house. There were family photos on the wall and they showed a little boy in a sailor suit and girls in smocked dresses. I wish I could have seen the outfits in person, but they did not have a lot of vintage textiles at this museum.




This photo is the kitchen in the same house as the above bedroom. The "Mom" was cooking potato and leek soup and I wish we had smell-o-vision because the scent was heavenly. Yes, I searched "potato and leek soup" recipes this morning!



My favorite building, however, was the 1943 grocery store. It was really great to see an example of a store my grandparents might have shopped in. My Mom even remembered some of the brands and I recognized many that are still around today. Because this store portrayed 1943, it also had rationing information posted, which was interesting. It reminded me of Ike Godsey's store on one of my favorite shows, The Waltons. We all enjoyed our visit to the past! 


2 comments:

Jeannie B. said...

I love this post. I Would love to see just this thing. What is the name of this place and where is it?
Thank you for taking me along!

Elisabeth Rose said...

Hi Jeannie,
Glad you enjoyed your virtual visit to Strawberry Banke, in Portsmouth, NH! They had so many beautiful things there and the weather was just lovely, too!

pinterest-dffa4.html