I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Antique White Infant Crib & Baby Quilt

Today I am sharing something old and something new. This white iron antique crib was passed down to me from my Grandmother. All of her siblings slept in it, my Mom and her siblings, assorted cousins down the line, and even me! All of my babies have slept in it for the first few months. My grandmother was born in 1922, so this crib is from the early 1900's. The way she remembered the story, her parents won this crib at a fair. I have pictures of me in this crib and pictures of all my kids. I took a picture of each baby in it the first night they came home from the hospital with the baby quilt my Mom made for them (those will be another post and another story!).
 










I thought it would be appropriate to share this baby quilt today, while we are talking about cribs and babies! My Mom made this to send to a co-worker who is having a baby in October. They live across the country from each other, but are "internet buddies". It is this lady's first baby and she doesn't know the gender, so my Mom chose the blue moon and stars print combined with the yellow gingham. The funny thing is that these are the fabrics I used to make Andy a photo quilt for the hospital. My Mom liked the combination, too, so decided to use it for her Double Irish Chain quilt. It is hand-quilted; I'm not sure if you can see it on the close-up. I think the Mom will love this beautiful gift!

I have a question for you "seasoned" bloggers. How do you get the pictures to show up where you want them? I can't always get the text to wrap around the picture and sometimes when I put an additional picture in, the first one scoots up to the top. Arrghh.

I'm linking this post to White Wednesday at Faded Charm. Comments will take a day or two to publish, as I'll be off-line until Friday. Have a great day!!

10 comments:

Victoria said...

What a beautiful crib that is and how wonderful that so many generations have enjoyed it! Lovely quilt too:)

I was taught by a fellow blogger and this is the way I do it, put the picture you want last in first working up to the picture you want first in your post...so insert them in reverse order. Then put your text in afterwards. Hope that helps!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

The quilt is beautiful but I'm still thinking about the crib's memories you might have!

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful story to go along with a wonderful bed-and to have pictures of each child to go with it-thanks so cool!

Tete said...

Lovin' this little crib, but the memories make it extra special and I suspect it will be in the family a long, long time to come.
Great little quilt and these are 2 of my favorite colors. I would be tickled blue and yellow to get such a gift!
Ok- for the posting- when you have your post box open- in the tool bar where you add you photos and such- there is a place where you can center your photos and text- that's what I always use- then all the text is at the bottom of each photo.
Come in and check my blog and see if that's how you want yours.
If you need anymore help- just leave me a little note in any comment box and I will get back to you-
Hugs- Tete

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Thanks for the comment tip--But I gotta tell you how much I love that old crib! All by itself it is wonderful, but to have something like that from family is so special! I could think of a million ways to use it after the babies were all done! Jacqueline

Jeannie B. said...

Hi! love the crib and the history about it. It is fun to find blog friends when blog traveling. Don't you enjoy White Wednesday??

Virginia said...

I love that old crib! What a treasure to have, with so many memories attach to it.
And the quilt is lovely….
Blessings,
Virginia

Elisabeth Rose said...

Thanks for the nice comments on the crib and quilt. It is very special to me and is the only thing handed down from my Grandmother. It does have very special memories attached to it! I have enjoyed White Wednesday. As I do things around the house, I'll notice something white and think, "oh, that would be good for WW." And it is great to see what everyone else posts about and find "online friends".

Lori Lynn said...

So sweet!!

♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Lori Lynn ♥

Debbie~ said...

I looove your sweet crib and just adore the wheels on it! Then there's the beautiful quilt your Mom made, how truly wonderful! What a cherished gift that will be. I can hardly wait to see the others when you post about them too! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful heirloom with us!!! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

pinterest-dffa4.html