I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quilted Star Ornaments

Today's Christmas idea is a quilted star ornament. Although they look sewn, they are actually made by folding and pinning squares of fabric. The first one you make can take a little time to figure out spacing and technique, but subsequent balls are easy. I made about 20 of these last year, when I was suffering pregnancy queasies. They are a nice addition to cookie trays, presents, teacher's gifts, or ornament swaps. The tutorial can be found here:
Quilted Star Ornament Directions

You will need:
  • a 3 inch Styrofoam ball
  • (16 of each of 3 different fabrics) 2.5 inch squares
  • 1 foot lace or ribbon
  • Lots of straight pins with flat heads (about 200 per ornament)
  • Hot glue
 I bought my pins at Walmart in the pack of 500. You want the cheapest metal ones with the tiny head. These are a fun project to work on while watching TV or listening to music. Give it a try! Check back tomorrow for another great Christmas Idea. Linking to Ellie Inspired's Christmas Party.
You still have until Saturday to enter a comment here for my give away!



3 comments:

Jan M said...

Such a pretty ornament! I had seen the folding technique on other ornaments, but never thought about making it resemble a quilt pattern. Thank you for the inspiration!

Elisabeth Rose said...

You are very welcome, Jan! I also have a pattern that shows one of these stars made into a little pillow to use as a pincushion. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to. Thanks for reading!

Ellie Inspired said...

Hey, where's your post for today!? Just kidding!! Love this one! Showed it first thing on my blog again today!

pinterest-dffa4.html