My friend Lillian told me about the Titanic Fashion Project at the Vintage Pattern Lending Library (VPLL). I took a look and knew it was right up my alley! The ladies there try to restore and sell antique patterns to keep them available for the future. Since this is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, they are doing a year-long project to scan and produce patterns from a French fashion magazine from 1912. They are making these patterns available to sewists to make, whether keeping to the original or updating it for today. A few days ago, I got my first pattern. I thought I should start with something very simple, so I chose this child's apron. I have been thinking about it and decided to make it in white pique with pink gingham binding. I want to stay as true to the time period as I can, but I am thinking of digitizing a redwork-type design for the pockets or the front. I'd like to find a bunny or kitty perhaps. I'll have to look around. Here are some other images of Titanic-era children's fashions.
I'm looking forward to starting this project, but I'm also in the middle of a few others. I'll share the progress on those next!