I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I Spy Elmo...Trucks...Dora...Halloween...Doggies... Picnic...Babies...FUN!

The I Spy Quilt for the little boys is almost done. I sandwiched the top, batting, and backing; then pin-basted it and machine stipple quilted it. 
The top has 100 different themed fabrics. I knew Andy would like finding things on it, but even Davy has fun with it at 7 years old.
I wanted the back to be educational and fun, too. I was so excited to find this US/Canada map at JoAnn's. It is bright and colorful!
Davy chose the rainbow fabric at the top and I found the fish in matching colors. Katie says it's...well...BUSY, but I think it's fun. I am amazed that I was able to get the top onto the backing straight and centered. I put it together on my kitchen table by myself.
I don't have much experience with free-motion quilting, but I do enjoy doing it. I think with more practice, I will improve. I was happy that the back stayed smooth with no puckers.
 I meandered across one row at a time, being sure to overlap other rows so that it was very random.
I found the rainbow and fish fabrics at Walmart! I bought extra of the fish print because I thought it would make a cute summer outfit for Andy. I will bind the quilt with the rainbow stripes, cut so that the strips will be narrow on the binding. I hope to finish the binding tomorrow so that I can show it at my Guild meeting tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Elmo party supplies said...

These fabrics are beautiful!

Janice said...

What a wonderful quilt! I love everything about it but especially the fish fabric and the neat map on the back. I made an I Spy quilt for my grandson's 4th birthday and it has been so useful for rainy days, car trips,and sick days. Your children will really enjoy this. Great job!

pinterest-dffa4.html