I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

We Danced at Fezziwig's Ball

Here we are, all dressed up! I spent weeks sewing the gowns to get ready for this night.

Rosie looked lovely in her crimson "faux silk" ball gown. I used Past Patterns Ball Gown pattern.

My dress is the Past Patterns Gathered Bodice. I made up the skirts on my own, due to the rush.

I have lots of details to share about these, but I will do it in a later post.

I saved my sanity took a shortcut on Katie's dress by buying it on Etsy. I was just running out of time and had so much else to do at this time of year. Fairly happy with it.

Davy was ADORABLE in his vintage knickers and tweed vest. The knickers are probably from the 1920s, but I thought his outfit captured the "flavor" of Dickens if not being exactly period-correct.

Andy coordinated with Davy, except his knickers are green velveteen that I made. I thought they looked exceptionally cute!!

Here's a view of the room at the Old Towne Hall. It was a beautiful room- notice the windows and chandeliers!
Rosie loved the dancing, as I knew she would, and she was really good at it! Rosie has been dancing since she was 2 and is quite accomplished.
We saw a lot of the same people who were at the Regency Ball in October. I guess that there's a main group of "crazies" (as hubby calls us) in New England, and I have found them.
There was a grand march, polkas, waltzes, and line dances or reels. It is as much fun to watch (holding Andy) as it is to dance!
I couldn't resist taking a picture of this Dapper Lad. His outfit was almost as cute as he was.
There were lovely treats and hot cider during the break! And it was 51 degrees outside!!

Sometimes I think about how blogs tend to show only the joyful moments, the beautiful projects, etc. So I'm going to be honest here and say that these were the fun parts. The not-fun parts were that the other 4 kids didn't want to dance, Katie got a stomach ache, and we left early. 1 hour 20 minutes each way and lots of $$$ wasted. BUT I learned something and next year I will try again with only hubby, Rosie, and me. The re-enacting hobby is something I will still pursue, but I don't think it's going to be a family thing. That's OK.

Tomorrow is going to be Cookie Baking Day here. I will try to come back and share some pictures and recipes. We have big plans!

1 comment:

Linda Snyder said...

You've done an amazing job making all these gorgeous costumes...each one is wonderful. And your pictures look like a blast from the past! Thanks for sharing what must have been a magical evening. Way to go Lisa!

pinterest-dffa4.html