I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Friday, June 28, 2013

Vintage Pattern Love: Dated Drawers

Underthings for children did not change much from the 1860s to the 1940s. They usually consisted of an underwaist and drawers, which buttoned together at the waist.
 Sometimes, these were a one-piece outfit known as a "combination" for obvious reasons.

These undie patterns from the 1900s to the 1940s are pretty easy to find.
I have always thought the drop-seats are so cute. When I first started collecting patterns, I got a 1920s combination pattern and I wanted to see if I could figure it out, having just the unprinted pieces and minimal directions.
I did figure it out! The combination I made is really cute and could even pass for a sunsuit. I never did all the buttons and buttonholes, but you get the idea. Above picture is the front.
Here is the back, with the cute gathered "back door". 
Another "necessary" for girls was the slip and panties. These patterns from the 30s and 40s are quite lavish with ruffles, lace, and hand embroidery. I don't know where Mommies found the time to stitch such confections for their little ones.
As we move into the 50s and 60s, the slips got the fluffy, ruffly, bouffant style- nowadays referred to as a petti-skirt (and worn sometimes as the outer layer.)
Isn't it fun to look at the beautiful fashions of yesterday? I am busily working on the directions for the pinafore pattern and getting ready for 4th of July!!



2 comments:

Sharon said...

These are all so cute! I never though about sewing these before, I'll have to keep my eye out for these patterns.

Karen said...

The pattern envelopes themselves are charming, aren't they? Your little 'althogether' is adorable and would, indeed, make a cute sunsuit! Thank you for sharing these, Lisa. Wendy Schoen must have used the third pattern from the bottom to make into a sundress pattern in one of her embroidery class years. She used a solid and a gingham, I believe. I'd love to find this original pattern. The little blue version would be darling as a fancy sundress. I'll have to add that to my ever growing 'to-do' list!

pinterest-dffa4.html