I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Annie Sewing...or Not

Hello again. I was in NYC this week for my father-in-law's funeral. It was nice to see the extended family, but it was also good to get home again. A stomach virus has gone through the house, so I have not done much sewing this week.
Rosie is going to be in the play "Annie" so I started a folder of ideas for 1930s girl's clothing. I was looking forward to making her costume. Cast as an orphan, she would need: a dress, apron, and nightgown at least. I had in mind something "authentic" to the period, not a tacky dress with fake patches all over. But Rosie likes the fake patches and the director is planning to borrow all the costumes from a big theater nearby, so my plans have been thwarted. Still, I found some good ideas...
This dress looks like it might have been worn in an orphanage. The shoulder straps look very 1930s and I like the stripe with coordinating solid.
This dress reminds me of the American Girl Kit's Birthday dress, which I have always liked. The green color is pretty.

I suppose smocking is way too fancy for an orphanage, but this is a cute pattern!
Here's a 1930s catalog page. I like the classic shape with pleats.
 Did you know that there were patterns made for Annie clothes?
Well, I hope things will get back to normal here next week. I'm starting to think about what to do for Andy's Easter outfit.

No comments:

pinterest-dffa4.html