Wednesday, February 29, 2012
3 Little Kittens Baby Blanket
I spent several evenings digitizing this cute design of 3 Little Kittens. I wanted to test stitch it on something that could be used, so I stitched it on a piece of flannel and made up this quick baby blanket. I learned a lot of new things while digitizing this. It was my first time using a "motif" fill, which is on the mittens, apron, and step. I also tried the candlewicking stitch to create the pink circles for the flowers. It looks good, but was way too dense. When they were stitching, the needle went "plonk-plonk-plonk" and it even pulled a tiny hole in one spot. I need to change them to some other stitch. I had lots of fun doing this and am happy with it, except for the pesky flowers.
To make this simple blanket, I just embroidered along one edge of a flannel rectangle. The embroidery was facing the edge, so that when I folded over a border, the embroidery would be right side up. I just stitched ric rac to the edge, ironed the border, stitched it down, then hemmed the other edges. It is a nice way to finish it, because the back of the embroidery is sealed into the hem. This blanket will probably be donated to a local baby charity.