I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Liberty Lawn Floral Bishop

Today I am sharing one of my favorite dresses. I made this bishop when Katie was little. It is a size 2 yoked bishop dress made from the wonderful Liberty of London Tana Lawn. I bought this fabric in Manhattan when my husband and I were dating. We spent Christmas Eve at Rockefeller Center and went into the Liberty of London store. I wonder if it's still there? Anyway, Liberty Lawn is one of the nicest fabrics you can get. It is 100% cotton, very fine with a little sheen. It looks just as nice after washing and wrinkles gently. It used to be 36" wide, but I see that it now comes 54" wide. It is available at Fabric.com. 

This bishop dress holds a special memory for me. Katie wore it for portraits before Rosie was born. We used that picture, printed on fabric, to make a photo quilt to bring to the hospital when Rosie was born. That was something we did for Rosie, Davy, and Andy. Whenever I see this dress, I think of my almost-2-year-old Katie in it. 
 I love the round yoke with the collar. It makes a very elegant bishop dress. The collar is trimmed with tea-dyed tatting, handmade (but not by me). Finally, I had the pictures taken of Andy in Drew's bubble. It is a good fit, but none too big. I would like to try this pattern again in the pleated version sometime.
Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Lovely, lovely dress.
The pattern wouldn't be 'Mindy' by Children's Corner, would it? I've just had a dilly of a time trying to make that pattern (it looks exactly like your dress) but I'm finding the instructions confusing.
Whatever pattern you used, it turned out simply lovely!
Thanks for sharing.

Elisabeth Rose said...

Hi My North,
I think the pattern was "Mindy" but I don't remember for sure. It will be nice to see your version for your little granddaughter! Thanks,
Lisa

pinterest-dffa4.html