I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Drew's Bubble for Andy!!

**At the end of this post is one of the Walmart photos of Andy in the vintage Madeira bubble.


I just finished Andy's birthday bubble! It was originally supposed to be for Easter, but I missed that deadline. It worked out perfectly, though, because now I am ready early for his first birthday.
The pattern is one I have wanted to try for a long time: Martha Pullen's Drew and Erin's Bubble. I made a size 1, but the pattern goes all the way up to size 5 in boy and girl versions. It also offers a cute pleated version with no smocking. This is based on a vintage 1940s bubble.
Here's a close-up of the collar; I really like its shape. I saved a lot of time by purchasing the piping ready-made to match my fabric. Yahoo!

Here's a view of the cuff and sleeve. I noticed that the sleeve piece was an inch wider than the cuff piece. There was no mention of gathers in the pattern directions, so this may have been a mistake. My friend Lillian suggested a little tailored pleat, which is what she did when she made this several years ago. I like pleats for boys, so that worked out well.

Finally, a close-up of the smocking. I ran into a few snafus here. The plaid is always tough to pleat without getting the secondary stripes, but I don't mind it too much. To avoid that, I would have had to pleat it by hand and I just didn't have the extra time. Also, somehow I smocked too close to the middle, so the smocking continues under the V, but I don't mind that either. Though the piping isn't perfect, I am satisfied with how it looks.


Today I picked up the CD of images of Andy in the vintage Madeira bubble. This photo is one that they edited to make him black and white, but the romper is still in color. I love the effect.
Please leave a comment and have a wonderful day, friends!

7 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Love the romper! The collar looks great, and it matches perfectly in the center. The piping is fine, sometimes you just need to settle for good enough.

Jan said...

both rompers turned out great. Love the black/white pic of little Andy.

gmaofthree said...

Lisa, it looks perfect to me! It is just adorable- thank you for sharing it with us. The pleat on the sleeve is just the right touch, too!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, it is just perfect! Your little one will look so sweet in it! mizlilly

Claire Meldrum said...

What an adorable romper! I love the shaped yoke and collar. The plaid you chose is really nice and goes with the whole vintage-y vibe. Nice work.

Janice said...

This is probably the most handsome baby boy garments that I have ever seen. It is masculine and yet sweet. Your combination of fabric, pattern and smocking makes this a spectacular little bubble.

Elisabeth Rose said...

I am thrilled to have such high praise from 6 very talented women! Thank you for your nice remarks; I really appreciate it!

pinterest-dffa4.html