The embroidery is from Linny's Heirloom by Artistic Designs. I used Madeira 60wt cotton thread for the embroidery and in the bobbin and it looks great, with no puckers.
I like the little bit of lace on a baby without it being too much. Because the smocking is only at the center front and sleeves, it didn't take too long to do.
The funny thing is, I started this dress and then a few days later, Jeannie B at the Old Fashioned Baby made the same one for a gift. Of course, she was quite a bit faster than me and already has photos of the baby in the dress. I was happy to see it modeled! It looks big for a newborn to me, but hers fit a 9lb newborn as a long dress. That's the great thing about a "bishop" neckline- it fits for a long time. I hope this will be a gown when my friend's baby is born (due Dec 4) and then a dress around Easter time. I will make a simple slip next, then move on to Andy's Thanksgiving overalls. I also have a lot to do to get ready for the shower, so I'll be sharing some of those projects soon.