I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Baby New Year 2011

Another tradition to share, another story...

I am finally getting back to my sewing machine after being overwhelmed by Christmas and colds, etc. Today's project started with an idea I got many years ago. When I was a little girl, I had a friend named Heather. Her Mom had pictures of her and her sister on their first New Year's Day with a year sash. It was a white sash like Miss America wears over her shoulder with the year on it. I filed that idea away in my head for many years, until 1996 when Petey had his first New Year. I made a little sash with 1996 on it and took pictures. Every time I had a new baby, I made the new year sash and took pictures. By the time Rosie came, her first New Year was 2000, which was pretty exciting. In fact I had several "I was born in 2000" outfits for her.
I put a white cover over the diaper for the picture. I think this is a fun tradition and it's neat to look back on the pictures and remember what was happening that year. It's not too late for you to make one for your baby this year!
I just cut a strip of white broadcloth about 5" wide, fold it in half and cut the ends at a 45 degree angle. Stitch, turn right side out, and stitch the angled ends together. Then, I use Heat 'n Bond on black broadcloth for my numbers. I print the numbers on the computer in a nice font, about 2" tall. I trace them on the Heat 'n Bond and cut them out. Then just iron them on. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of this idea.
I have started working on my row robin for my Quilt Guild. I am doing a Sampler Quilt and I have to turn my row in on Thursday. I chose 4 blocks that are fairly intricate. I'll be back tomorrow or Wednesday to share them with you!

No comments:

pinterest-dffa4.html