I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Guest Post by Geek Dad: Super Slip & Slide

Hi, this is guest blogger GeekDad and I am here to tell you about our experience building a Super Slip-n-Slide (SSNS).  This story starts three years ago when my daughter Katie gave me the following book for Father's Day: "Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share.
Well, as you can guess one of the projects that caught my eye was the SSNS, but alas it took me another two years to complete.  The following year I got all the supplies and this year we finally made it.  The GeekDad.com website (Ok I'm not "The GeekDad", but I am my family's Geek Dad :-) ) just recently republished the instructions on its website


 Our version of the SSNS started with 25'x10'x6 mil black plastic sheeting from Lowes , Industrial strength Velcro strips ,  50' Sprinkler Hose , 6 tarp clips , landscape pins and 14 pool noodles from our local Dollar store.
 
Davy and I started laying out the tarp and placing the pool noodles along each edge and at the bottom.  There were two pool noodles at the bottom and six pool noodles along each side evenly spaced.  I then cut the Velcro strips in half and into 2" strips.  We placed three at each pool noodle, one on each end and one in the middle (42 strips in total).  We started with the bottom pool noodles and placed the Velcro about a 1/4" from the edge and then wrapped the sheeting around the pool noodles (see photo).
  At this point Davy lost interest, but Rose came out to help.  We did the side pool noodles to allow for a little extra plastic wrap so we could use the tarp clips (see photo).   Next we turned it over and laid out the sprinkler hose as evenly as we could, but the hose was not long enough since it had to go along the bottom of the slide (I'll have to look for a longer hose).  We attached the sprinkler hose with Velcro strips placed at the center of pool noodle and extra at the turns at the bottom.   Next I hooked up the tarp clipes and achored the SSNS with the landsxaping pins.  Note that I think I will need to get more tarp clips and some heary duty plastic spikes to really hold the SSNS in place.  The last step was hooking up the hose, turning on the water and letting the fun begin!  I hope this will inspire you to make a SSNS for your family.

Thank you for your great guest post, Geek Dad! Mommy's Apron Strings Ladies, get your hubbies to make a cool SSNS for your kids and grandkids!

You may have noticed that I missed Days 3-7 of KCW. Yes, an epic fail! I just couldn't find the free time on Day 3 and once I was "off the wagon" it was harder to get motivated- sounds like a diet, huh? I am taking the 3 youngest to the beach for a couple of days and to go to the Circus, so I'll post from there, if I have internet!

No comments:

pinterest-dffa4.html