I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Put on your Easter Bonnet...

...with a frill upon it.
This bonnet is what I've been working on during February. It is for a contest at Adorable Heirlooms. The bonnet had to have an original smocking design, hand embroidery, and an Easter theme.
I started with a 1940s Simplicity pattern #2336. I wanted a scalloped brim and horseshoe crown. This pattern is size 6 months. I made a pleated panel for the center section. 
  The smocking has baby-wave diamonds, 3 large scallops, and 2 rows of waves at the back. I drew it on smocking graph paper to get the spacing right. It's 170 pleats. I added a woven satin ribbon between the middle rows of diamonds.
The embroidery has spider-web roses, bullion rosebuds, and lazy-daisy leaves. The roses are in 2 shades of pink, both darker than the background smocking.
The brim has a spider-web rose and leaves on each scallop. I piped the scallops on the brim and both sides of the smocked panel. 
The bonnet is completely lined. I hand-stitched a gathered ruffle of French lace around the face. The ties are self-fabric.
Design Details:
Fabric: 100% cotton Swiss pique, pale pink
Smocking: original design in DMC floss
Pattern: Simplicity 2336, circa 1945
Size: 6 months

I will hear the results of the contest tomorrow and will let you know. I haven't seen any of the other entries yet, but I am looking forward to it!

Also, linking to Sew for Victory (1940s Project) at Lucky Lucille.  
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

Lee said...

It's beautiful! I love the bit of gathered lace inside the bonnet. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Karen said...

Wow! Stunning! Thank you for all the details!

Janice said...

Oh, Lisa, this is probably the sweetest little bonnet I have ever seen! Everything is gorgeous, from the smocking design to color choices to the perfect coordination of embellishments on the pattern. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE it!

Dree said...

Very impressive! I don't know how to smock, so the details are lost on me, but it is beautiful. Love the bullion buds.

Debbie said...

So happy to see this beautiful piece! I have done smocking...many, many years ago. Your bonnet is stunning.

SuperMomNoCape said...

How beautiful! So much time and work have obviously gone into making the bonnet. You've done a wonderful job on it.

blackenpot said...

Hi, just found your blog. The bonnet is absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nothing takes my breath away like a baby in a bonnet... simply stunning!

Susan said...

I love smocking! Your baby bonnet is adorable! Is it difficult to learn?

Spinneretta said...

This really is stunning.

pinterest-dffa4.html