I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Knit Rosebud Bishop Dress and Fancy Diaper Cover


I was invited to a baby shower this weekend for my friend's sister. She is having her fifth child (yeah for Moms of 5!) and it is a little girl. Since my last 2 children are boys, it was fun to plan some pink sewing. My daughter suggested a knit fabric for the "modern" Mom.

I thought that was a good idea and had only smocked on knit fabric once before. I had made my little guy a romper from AS&E, but I used a very lush Sea Island Cotton, which was a disaster to pleat. Many broken needles were the result. This fabric was purchased from Hancock online before they went out of business and I have plenty, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is a lovely quality and very soft, but not as thick as the Sea Island knits.

It went through the pleater beautifully. I smocked a very simple design in 2 shades of a purply-pink to match the rosebuds. I used a free Wee Care Bishop pattern from AS&E in newborn size. I don't know if it's still available, but it was in one of their old issues, too. I think it will be more of a 3 months size, which doesn't surprise me as I find their patterns run large.

I did take some fullness out of the front and back pieces, to accomodate the heavier fabric. I removed 2" on the front and 2" on the back. I originally took 1" from the sleeves, but they were too skimpy, so they are the original pattern. I still think they look skimpy and would have liked them a little fuller.

I thought about using a woven fabric for the neckband and sleevebands, but I ended up using the same knit. I used some german interfacing on the bands and they were a delight! The knit folded over (as usual) and was hand-stitched to the back. The bit of stretch made it so smooth with none of that ugly "twisted" look you sometimes get on neckbands. Of course, they were cut across the grain, not on the bias.

The little diaper cover was purchased in a destash group for $3. It has a double-seat and eyelet, elastic legs. Worth every penny to save the time! It is a truly little size- probably 0-3 mos and I think it will go well with the dress or would be so cute for those "diaper-only" newborn photos.

The monogram is done by machine. The design is from Attic Treasures. I've had this set for awhile and finally got to use it! I love, love, love it! Definitely I will use this one again.
The new Mom really liked the set- I hope I will see pictures of "Baby K" in it soon!!

4 comments:

knitbunnie said...

I've been wanting to smock on knit fabric, and you're helping with my courage. Do you know if the fabric was all cotton or cotton/lycra? I live in fear of broken needles in my smocking pleater. Maybe I could hand-pleat?

Elisabeth Rose said...

Hi Knitbunnie, This knit is 100% cotton and was a heavier weight than the cotton/lycras I have. It went through my pleater easily- just be sure to strip the needles often so it doesn't build up. I was concerned that the pleater would leave holes since they are not ballpoint needles, but it did not. I encourage you to try- if you do a bishop, make tiny seams and do a tiny zigzag- do not do French seams. IF you have questions, please write back or contact me on facebook: Lisa Momapronstrings Serimy. Thanks!!

Kay Briley said...

I love this set. I have never smocked on knit but will definitely give it a try now. It looks like a perfect set if my new grand is a girl and if not I will find a little girl for it. Thanks for the post.

Elisabeth Rose said...

Thanks Kay! How exciting to have a new grandbaby on the way! I will look forward to seeing pictures and the darling creations you will make for her or him. Give the knit a try- it is easy!

pinterest-dffa4.html