I happily found a theme for today's post: swimming.
Katie spearheaded the making of this adorable Nemo & Dory Tic Tac Toe set for Father's Day. The boys and I helped paint the fish rocks. It was much harder than it looked! The board is a painted slice of log. Katie coated everything in a glossy protective coat which looks great.
Last summer Rosie asked me to made a swimsuit. The fabric was bought at a discount store we love. Only $4/yd, so great to practice on. The order was placed for a tankini with a simple tank top and plain bottoms. Do you know I could not find a basic pattern for that with the thick straps? I could only find the spaghetti type straps or halter tops. I finally did find a top that was OK, but then I decided to start really simple with a 1-piece.
The whole suit is lined with a super nice, thick white swim fabric. I got a remnant of it at Joann's for $4, normally $25/yd. It made me realize how thin the green fabric is (basically see-through if unlined). Do you see the beautiful finish done by the cover-stitch? I love it!
This is how nice it looks on the inside: just like store-bought.
The only problem I had was the application of elastic. I did the legs first, figuring they would show less. I followed the pattern directions and cut the elastic at 90% of the leg opening. That was too much and as you can see in the top picture, it is not very gathered. For the arms/neck, I just pulled it as I stitched. That worked OK, but it is somewhat uneven. I will have to practice more.
The suit fits, but it is a bit short and pulls in the back. Still, a good first try. Next I might try the 1-piece "wetsuit" type swimwear for Andy or a cutie girl suit for Ella.
My Smocking Guild had a challenge in September to make something with the counterchange smocking technique. I made these cute shorts ages ago, but I didn't want to post them until we did the reveal, which was today.
Counterchange is a type of smocking that is done on striped or checked fabric, with no pre-pleating. The stitches gather the fabric as you go and create a colored effect. It is still naturally elastic, but not as much so as English smocking. I gathered these bubbly pockets with counterchange.
The floral fabric is by Fabric Finders. I purchased it on ebay and can't find it anymore. I just LOVE it- both the delicate print and the lovely colors. These shorts are size 12-18 months. I would like to make a top to go with them, but have yet to do so.
This outfit came together under fun circumstances. I purchased a boy's scrap pack of custom knits. There were about 15 pieces, each big enough to do a shirt front or a bum circle or sleeves, etc. but not a whole outfit. I started with the panels for the shorts and added a co-ordinating green solid. The shorts panels are trapeziums:
After I cut the 2 shorts panels, I had another trapezium left. I trimmed it and added the green all around. Then I cut out a tank top front. I used black ribbing to finish the neck and armholes.
My sweet little boy just turned 6 and he is all about comfort! I think this outfit will pass his test!