The smocking design is very simple, but elegant. The center section, unsmocked, will become a puffing strip once it relaxes from the pleating. I back-smocked the diamonds to give the waist more stability.
Here's the back, pre-buttons. I used a wonderful 100% cotton batiste from Martha Pullen Co. It was only $3/yd at one of their crazy sales, so I bought A LOT! The sleeves are trimmed with cotton Swiss embroidery, which I gave a brief tea bath so it would match the ecru smocking.
I have always loved scalloped hems, so I thought I'd do one here. It is hard to see, but there are 12 6" scallops around the bottom. I stitched them by hand with a small running stitch using 1 strand of ecru DMC floss to match the smocking.
And here is a closer view of the hem. It's still hard to see the stitching. Maybe later I will add a little embroidery or something to make it stand out.
I love the way it turned out and the whole thing was completed in less than a week- yahoo!!